Saturday, September 6, 2014

The Sabbath

So the Sabbath is observed on Saturday here. It was also the first day that I felt well rested. I think I'm finally getting over jet lag! Having sacrament meeting in the auditorium that looks over the city was pretty amazing. It was fast and testimony meeting so we got to hear the testimonies of the local members and BYU students. I bore mine as well. As I briefly shared my testimony of priesthood power and personal revelation I shared the council I received in my Pre-Jerusalem blessing - to not worry about what I've left behind nor what's coming and to just relish in the now. Several people thanked me afterwards for sharing that experience.

After church I walked with a group of people to the Garden of Gethsemane. Here are some pictures from that experience. 
Outside of a small underground chapel near the place where Christ was arrested. 
One of the "eight witnesses" (olive trees) of Christ's suffering in the Garden. 
The chapel built next to the Garden of Gethsemane in memorial of Christ's suffering. 
Inside the chapel - a priest led me to a stone below that mural where Christ laid as he suffered. He showed me how to honor that sacred place by touching the stone and placing my forehead on the stone in adoration. He invited me to pray there. 
View of the Old City wall from outside the chapel at the Garden of Gethsemane.

It was a really special experience to be at the place where Christ performed part of the Atonement. 

As part of the Talent Show Comittee, I helped plan a musical fireside last night for our first Sabbath evening. We had about 14 musical numbers and it was beautiful. I loved the piano solos most. We could just listen and look out the auditorium window at the Jerusalem city lights. I sang Come Thou Fount with my new friend Christeen accompanying. She's a piano performance major and also one of the few students here my age. We're kinda the old farts of the group haha. 

We ended with a fun social in the snack shack. I had a great conversation with Lauren, a student at UVA, the same school that my brother-in-law Brandon works in Virginia! She transferred to BYU for a semester just to go to the Jerusalem Center! We bonded over the things we hope to get from this semester. Keep your eyes open for my next blog - I hope to write about why I'm here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment