Thursday, September 18, 2014

Shawarma, Tower of David, and the Upper Room

We went out into the city yesterday and tried our first traditional shawarma! It's kinda like a gyro - it's marinated grilled meat served with condiments in pita bread! 
You can see the meat, pickles, cabbage, and special salsa that you put in the pita bread. 
Preparing my shawarma with Kasdyn and Diane :D

After lunch we went to this amazing museum called the Tower of David Museum!
They excavated the area and turned it into this beautiful enclosed area where they host small outdoor events. The outer walls house small museum galleries explaining the history of Jerusalem from about 2000 B.C.E. 

The view from the top of David's tower was awesome. I never get sick of seeing Jerusalem:)

We also went to the Upper Room where the Last Supper may have occurred.
It wasn't what I expected. It didn't really have the same feeling that the Garden Tomb had. I guess I expected it to have a bit more of an intimate feeling. Churches are often built on top of where important religious events may have occurred to honor the event. It's too bad that it doesn't reflect what it would have actually been like at the time of the event. 

Couldn't help but take a group selfie with Michael, Kasdyn, Diane, Drew, and Emily in front of a David's harp statue near King David's Tomb. 
Also couldn't pass up a twinner photo with one of my favorite people, Kasdyn - we'll probably get married. 

And this final gem needed to be on the internet...
I couldn't have timed that better if I had taken the picture myself...
There we go :) 




No comments:

Post a Comment