Thursday, September 11, 2014

My Professors

Classes are well under way! We've had Old Testament every day this week, along with Judaism, Islam, Arabic and Near Eastern Studies twice so far. The reading load has been crazy. But I think they're really cramming it in this first week so we don't fall behind when we leave for Turkey after next week. 

Professor Bashir, a Palestinian Muslim, teaches the class on Islam. He is really expressive and so open about discussing world issues which is so refreshing! He has been teaching us some paradigm shifting principles regarding religion in general which have been really enlightening. 
A phrase that stood out to me from his first class was that "every religion is a historical phenomenon." He explained that it's impossible to truly understand a religion without considering its historical context. The theology is obviously essential but the history, especially with Islam, explains how the religion originated and what impact it's had culturally. 

Professor Ophir Yarden teaches our Judaism class.
It's so cool to be learning about these important world religions from men that actively practice them! 

The course content for these two classes is pretty intense, which is why I'm so grateful for my Arabic class. Our professor is hilarious!!! We've had a blast during the first two classes - I've laughed more in two of his classes than I've laughed in all of my BYU classes put together. 
Professor Jebara giving Kasdyn a hard time in class. 
He wrote in Arabic on Olivia's hands with a dry erase marker. We died. 

Brother Anderson teaches my Old Testament class and Professor Chadwick 
teaches Near Eastern Studies. I'll write about them in another post. I've learned a lot this week and have tons of questions I hope to have answered during the course of the semester. I'm grateful to be adding to my jars of olive oil and balsamic vinegar :)


No comments:

Post a Comment