Monday, October 27, 2014

Making Space

I have a tendency of filling every sliver of free time in my life with things. This last school year I was always either in class, at work, rehearsing/performing with Vocal Point, studying, or spending time with friends. I loved everything I was doing and felt so fulfilled by my activities but there was little time to reflect and few opportunities to take a step away from my life and reassess. I needed to make space on my life just for me.

One of the greatest blessings that has come from being here in Jerusalem is built-in space. I don't have a car or a job or Vocal Point. I have classes, all of which form part of a focused curriculum and include amazing field trips, and I have free time. 

What do I do with all this free time?! I use it to study for my classes and I use it to spend time with the friends I've made here. I also use it to reflect. I reflect on my life before coming here, the life I have here, and the life I want to have after I leave. 

I've loved be able to record my Jerusalem experiences on my blog. It's allowed me the opportunity to share them with those I love wherever they are. I look forward to sharing my blog with my own family someday! 

I love to go up and lay on a blanket on the grass lawn on the seventh floor patio after a morning and afternoon of classes. I'll lay there and read Old Testament, listen to music, write down my thoughts, and sleep if I need too. I'll be looking out over Jerusalem and think,"Is this real? Am I really living in Jerusalem?" It's moments like those when I'm really grateful to be where I am. 

This last week I did something I've been wanting to do for a long time. I was in class and an experience came to mind and I decided to write a song about it. I wrote down some lyrics and the melody just came. I tweaked it over a few days and sat down at the piano and plunked out the chords. There is space in my life to do that here and I love it! I want to keep making space in my life after this semester to write music and reflect more on my experiences. 

Here are some pictures of some of the fun things I've gotten to do with my free time :)

My friend Robert came to visit from Amman, Jordan a few weeks ago so we went out and partied in West Jerusalem with Emma and Lauren! Loved the photobombers haha. 

The next day we went with big group of JC students and visiting friends to the Garden Tomb and a few of us got shawarma afterwards. 
Then we went to my favorite grassy spot, sat on my blanket, and listened to some relaxing acoustic guitar music with Dean, Olivia, Lauren, and Kasdyn. Robert is there too... My selfies skills were suffering that day haha. 


One night we went out to the German Colony in West Jerusalem. Here I'm just sitting at a public skate park with Emma, Kasdyn, and Spencer. 

After watching the skaters we went through the rest of the park. Here's a group selfie with Olivia, Lincoln, Matt, and Spencer with Emma, Lauren, and Kasdyn in the back. 

On the playground with Emma and Kasdyn :)

Out for Belgian waffles for Lincoln's birthday! October birthdays are the best ;)

Sitting by two great friends at Lincoln's waffle party - Kasdyn and Spencer :)

Last night the Elders Quorum President invited me and the other quorum teachers and presidency members to his house for dinner.

Dean, Matt, Bryce, Adam, and Lincoln, and me with CJ, his two daughters, and his beautiful wife!

He works for the State Department and is the Director of Security in Jerusalem so he took us to his office after dinner. 

He let Matt try on his bullet proof vest that felt like it weighed 100 lbs. 

He also showed us his armored car. 
Sooooo cool!

So grateful for the space I have here to play :)

2 comments:

  1. You wrote a song?!! I want to hear it!! That is so awesome that you have had the time to do things that make you happy and find out more about yourself and what you enjoy. I'm glad you posted a picture of "your spot"- the view is awesome, what a neat place you can go to to just 'be'. Surreal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! I'm still perfecting it on the piano - I'll record it soon and post it for you guys to watch/hear :)

      Delete