Sunday, October 26, 2014

Last Day of Classes!

No, the semester isn't over yet but four of the seven classes we take are! Today actually marks the halfway point - can you believe we're halfway though the semester?! This week we have finals for Old Testament, Islam, Judaism, and Arabic. Then New Testament starts with Sister Strathearn and we continue with our Field Studies class with Brother Whitchurch and our Ancient Near Eastern studies class with Brother Chadwick.

Just wanted to pay tribute to the professors of the classes that are ending today :)

To Ophir! I appreciated his composure in class as he presented Judaism and the Zionist movement in a thorough and organized way. He didn't just instruct us in the classroom, he guided us. He took us to his synagogue, led us through Yad Vashem, and hosted our Seder dinner. He had a very spiritually tender side - there were many moments in class and at Yad Vashem where I felt his strong yet sweet spirit as he shared his beliefs. 

To Bashir! Today in our last class we played Bashir Bingo. We took a list of 16 words, phrases, noises, and hand motions that are iconically Bashir and put them in a 4X4 grid and played during class. It didn't take more than 15 minutes before someone snuck the word "bingo" into their question during class to indicate they had won haha. He passionately communicated his Palestinian perspective of the current conflict and helped me truly understand where the Palestinians are coming from as it relates to the issues surrounding the State of Israel. 

To Ayman! I love Ayman. He wrote "Trevor" on my language packet in Arabic and the name "Brandon" next to it in parentheses. One day a couple weeks ago he called me Brandon accidentally and it kinda stuck. So whether is was Trevor, Brandon, or Mr. Hair he always took the chance to tease me. He made me laugh harder than any other professor ever. He was a master of social interaction - he knew exactly who to tease and how in order to win the whole class over. I didn't learn a ton of Arabic but I had a great time :) 

To Brother Anderson! Not only was he a great teacher but he truly has become a great friend. I've had a lot of opportunities to get to know him better and spend one-on-one time with him discussing music, service, family, health, and of course the Old Testament. He's been a great mentor. He has a great capacity to love. His wife is pretty great too...

To Sister Anderson! She may not have been one of my professors but she sure taught me a lot! She taught me that the best way to serve her husband was by eating all the delicious treats she made so he wouldn't... She taught me that German women always win in an argument - don't mess with em' unless you want to leave with bruises and wounded pride. She also taught me by example how to live the gospel sincerely and with a great sense of humor :)

To five wonderful people who taught me things I'll never remember but made me feel things I'll never forget :)

2 comments:

  1. They all seem awesome. How cool that you have such close great relationships with them. I'm sure you'll never forget them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have all been immortalized as an important part of my Jerusalem experience through my blog - some with more flattering pictures than others haha.

      Delete