Saturday, November 29, 2014

The Galilee

We're here in the Galilee! I really hadn't thought a lot about how much this experience could mean to me but Sister Strathearn didn't waste any time helping us understand how powerful our ten days here could be.
The Sea of Galilee 

She told us to look at this place with a spiritual lens instead of a camera lens in order to really come to know who Jesus was. It filled me with a desire to take the opportunity to study and ponder here and not just play.  

So far we've been to some really cool sites.

Bet Shean
An ancient city mentioned several times in the Old Testament and a possible stop during Christ's ministry. 


Nazareth
Small village in Lower Galilee where Mary and Joseph raised Jesus. 

Church of the Annunciation. This church was built in honor of Mary and, more specifically, the event when the angel Gabriel visited her to announce that she'd be the mother of the Son of God. 


Front door depicting the main events during Christ's life displayed chronologically starting at the top left and going counter clockwise. 

First floor of this non-denominational church. 

Where Gabriel visited Mary (with Abigail).

Beautiful chapel on the second floor of the church. 

We walked over to the Church of St. Joseph after that. In the basement was a stained-glass window that Sister Strathearn pointed out to me. 

It depicts a scene with Jesus and Mary at Joseph's side while he lies on his deathbed. Is never really thought about it but we don't hear about Joseph after he begins his ministry. Sister Strathearn said that some historians believe he was much older than Mary and died early in Christ's life. 

We also stopped at a the Synagogue Church which was built over a structure that existed during Christ's time. 

Brother Chadwick taught us here and we sang some hymns. 

Mount Arbel
Beautiful view of the Sea of Galilee.

It was here that we sat down and heard Sister Strathearn's inspiring message about how to make our time here a special experience. Right after she finished it started raining so Lauren and I started to head back to the bus. She turned to me and asked,"What do you hope to get our of this experience?" And thought about it for a moment and then responded with the most sincere answer I could. "I want to make a concerted effort to understand who Jesus is. I know who I've been taught he is and I know who I've said he is. But now I really want to take the opportunity to learn from the scriptures, the land, and history to come to know him better." 




No comments:

Post a Comment