Friday, November 7, 2014

Petra

I had pretty high expectations for Petra and they were all exceeded. What an amazing place! And to be honest, I'd been waiting to post this Instagram all semester...
Riding a camel in Petra!!! 

All I'd really seen in pictures was the treasury (which you can see behind me in the camel picture) but there is sooooo much more!

We walked through rock formations with tombs carved in them. There were so many!!

Men riding horseback offered to take us straight to the treasury for "cheap price."

To get to the treasury we had to walk through these beautiful rock canyons. 

You saw this group selfie coming...

They had us close our eyes as we walked the final stretch towards the treasury. It felt like Christmas morning! Not bad for a picture with my eyes closed...

 Just look at it! So cool!

Had to get a camel selfie!

After we took hundreds of pictures on camels in front of the treasury we then climbed hundreds of steps to see other amazing sites!

This is the High Place where they made sacrifices to the god Dushara!

With my fellow hikers Jordan, Christeen, Clarah, and Dru in the front and Mackenzie, Thomas, Grace, and Drew in the back!

The view was spectacular! The coolest thing about it was that if you looked really close you could see carved out tombs all along the mountain face. 

Next we hiked up another mountain to the monastary. 
I couldn't get over the amazing view of our hike!

It was so much bigger than I expected. 

Here's a view from the inside looking out. The acoustics were really cool so Austin and I sang a few songs in there :)

Then we went to lunch and spent the afternoon exploring the actual city. 





After walking for miles and climbing hundreds of steps I decided that I earned a horse ride back to the bus :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment